AmCham Women in Leadership Power Dinner
On Thursday, February 19th, AmCham Estonia held the Women in Leadership Dinner, ”Why Female Leaders are important in today’s Global Economy,” at the Swissôtel Tallinn, where women from all professional backgrounds- business, government, philanthropy, education, and the arts- gathered for a night of exceptional food, inspiring speakers, and valuable networking in Estonia.
The focus for this Women in Leadership event was to understand the importance and value of female leaders from two global professionals, Ania Jakubowski from Coca Cola and Marina Kaljurand from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The event was opened with a warm welcome and brief introduction by Daria Sivovol, the Executive Director of AmCham Estonia.
After the first course was served, Ania Jakubowski of Coca Cola began sharing her professional experience, how she got to her current position, and why it is so important for women to hold leadership positions in today’s society. Her thoughts on leadership and her advice to professional women in Estonia included:
• Have personal accountability, ask yourself “What am I doing for myself?”
• Results matter, be in control of your own business and map out what you want and then how to get there
• There is a need for an equal balance of male and female role models in a company/organization
• Communication is key, 1.) How you think and 2.) how well you engage others
• You can’t have it all, all at once. Make choices and decide what is the most important thing for you right now
• Create the ability to get where you want to go in your professional career, passion trumps everything
• Realize, are you achieving results or exceeding results?
• Ask yourself, what are you doing to be the BEST you
After guests asked a few questions, our next speaker, Marina Kaljurand of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, opened her speech by mentioning, “My year is not complete until I speak at one AmCham event.” As a diplomat, she is an important part of the continuously increasing number of female leaders who represent their country to the rest of the world. Some of her main points on female leaders and advice to guests were:
• Leading by example is how you make change
• Women are underrepresented in politics and prominent business positions, why?
• Two important things for women: education and encouragement
• Everyone has the right to decide what they want to be and where they want to be
• You need a strong support system to be successful in your work and personal life
• You can find the right balance with support from friends, family, and a strong network
• We can vote for each other, we have the ability to put women in power
• We can do a lot ourselves; be courageous and engaging
An important aspect of the event was the Q&A session following the women’s speeches. The audience was very vocal in their thoughts, concerns, and questions for Ania and Marina on female leadership and their importance in our global society. This topic encouraged professional networking and started engaging dialogue amongst the men and women at their own table.
We sincerely thank both of our speakers for taking time out of their busy schedules to speak to our members and guests. We offer a special thank you to Dylan, GANT, and Avon for their support and gifts. We also appreciate the help from Swissôtel Tallinn for their wonderful banquet hall and service. Lastly, we would like to thank our event sponsors, Coca Cola and Microsoft for helping us with such a successful event!
We look forward to many more rewarding Women in Leadership events in the future!